...Another one opens!
This week, I left one job and started another. It's been one crazy week! I left Glasgow Caley on Wednesday and started at Primesight on Thursday. Since I have spent the last four years at GCU, I thought I would do a little look back at my four and a bit years there with studying and working.
Glasgow Caledonian University was always my first choice when applying for UCAS. I loved the modern campus, the Saltire Centre with the turquoise staircase that is hard to miss. The welcoming atmosphere that I experienced at the Open Day and of course, the programmes that they offered. Even though I also applied for Fashion Business, I knew that my next step was in business. A BA (Hons) Business Studies degree sounded like a good place to start. To keep this bit short, after 4 years of studying and 7 months working at GCU, it is time to move on. A new job awaits. New year, new job. Since we are coming to the end of the year, I have decided to have a look back at the key things that GCU have given me.
1. A degree. Yes, the point of going to university after all. I started as a Business Studies student and left as a Business Studies with Marketing graduate. The ‘with’ has gave the degree that something extra. I must add, having specialism doesn't mean you are an expert but at least you have started to swim in the subject rather than dipped your toes in. Graduation is one of those moments that you see yourself throughout your university life in fast forward mode and it all comes down to that moment on stage. If that’s not scary enough, the fear of falling was infecting everyone!
2. Friends. When waiting for your first day to first, UCAS offered a service where you can meet other students on the course. This is where I would meet first of many friends. It was called YouGo and I am thankful for this as without it, I wouldn’t have met the others who would help me through university life! The two that I met were unfortunately not in my group but this presented an opportunity to meet others in my group. This was when ‘BABS19’ was born. After a year or so of shuffling around, everyone in this group got together and created a supergroup, even bigger than McBusted. These girls (and boys) have given me some memorable moments. As we all went our seperate ways after Graduation, I heard a Dr Seuss quote that has stayed with me through times when I miss the good old times in class or being out at the Garage, ‘Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened’.
3. An iPad. I procrastinated in the best way. Not with Facebook but by filling in a University survey. I never really thought about the prize, it was a way of not doing revision. This was the only time it really paid off. I remember logging into my student account and getting an email with the subject ‘Students‘ Association Annual Survey Prize Winner’ and thinking, MUST have been a typo. However, to my pleasant surprise it was for real and I even got to choose a cover colour. At the time before I received it, I was craving to have Instagram just for the photo-editing features but I was about to have that and a lot more apps that stretched beyond my imagination. And it served as my camera for a good while. So my advise is to enter any competition as you never know what you might win!
4. A year abroad. The iPad wasn’t my biggest win at university. Gaining a placement in the USA was one of the most memorable. After applying just to see what happened to having three Skype interviews over a few weeks to turning down an assessment centre for IBM for this opportunity. I genuinely couldn’t believe it. Me? Living in America? An opportunity that I just couldn’t turn down. In July 2012, I left for the year long rollercoaster ride that involved many road trips, real world work experience, crazy snow storms, many friendships and of course, FOOD! The story of my year abroad is many blog posts in itself but without the GCU partnership, this life changing year wouldn’t have happened and may have been in a different place to where I am now.
5. A step into marketing. After surviving a crazy two final semesters, it was time to think about a job? A real life job? Why has this come around so quickly I thought. Some students were organized and had applied to graduate schemes early. Some knew that another degree or training was their next step. Some, like me, had no idea what to do. I used my previous ‘applying and seeing what happens’ tactic and apply for Skyscanner, an online travel comparison website. I had used their app on my iPad (of course) and had loved it. I used that as a basis for my interest and applied. I got through to a telephone interview, which really excited me. The first half went well but some of the questions stumped me, ‘What do you do to keep up with marketing’, ‘What marketing experience do you have?’. I tried to adapt my experience as best I could to what was asked but it clearly wasn’t enough. I asked for feedback and said that I interviewed well but I didn’t have relevant marketing experience they needed. After a few other job interviews, I still was uncertain what lay ahead. Then there was an opportunity that lay closer than I thought. At GCU. The business school was looking for a Marketing intern as their main manager was out on maternity leave and they needed extra cover. With my past experience within the marketing department, helping with Open Days, graduate fairs and packing goody bags I had my contact who put in a good word. I was interviewed and was offered the job there and then! I handed in my final essay on the 8th of May and started on the 15th. Working for GCU has allowed me to showcase what I am good at and what else I can achieve. I have worked on creative projects, developed people (or student) management skills and gained an insight into how marketing works. When my supervisor left in September, I thought it was a good time to show what I could do independently although I did feel a bit lost at times. Recently, my new supervisor has introduced me to a new way of working and seeing the real work behind the marketing department which I am really grateful for. This has allowed me to release that I need to take the next step in another direction. In the direction of a new sector and new work place. And from my first two days at Primesight, I know I have made the right choice.
GCU, it has been a pleasure. Primesight, let's do this!
No comments:
Post a Comment